Sing Me A Song
We are now accepting entries for the fourth season of Sing Me a Song. The program promotes music and community spirit and is an opportunity for musical groups of all ages and genres to write and sing an original song in the lead up to Canada’s 150th birthday celebrations in 2017.
Groups are encouraged to write a song about what Canada’s 150th Birthday means to them or their community. Each entry will be reviewed by a panel of musicians from around the province and an award of $1,000 will be granted annually in each of three age categories. Entries will be posted on the "Sing Me A Song" YouTube channel to be viewed by all British Columbians.
Whether it is a school or community choir or other amateur musical group, all submissions must have a minimum of eight voices and musical accompaniment is welcome. Each song must be original content, no longer than five minutes in length, and be based on the Canada 150 themes. For younger age groups adults may assist in the creation of the musical content. Musicality, spirit, and originality are highly encouraged.
Songs for the 2017 competition must be submitted by March 31, 2017.
- An original song written specifically for Sing Me A Song;
- The original song is written and performed collaboratively by a British Columbia-based amateur, community or school group with a minimum of eight voices;
- Songs should be inspired by:
- What our country, province, or community means to the participants; or
- How their community, place or group reflects the values, accomplishments and spirit of Canada on its 150th birthday.
- Musical accompaniment is welcome to supplement the eight voices;
- The song must not exceed 5 minutes in length;
- A video file of the song must be submitted in a YouTube compatible format along with a copy of the written lyrics by March 31, 2017. Video files must include at least one visual of the group;
- By submitting the song you grant permission for Government House to post songs and images online and in the media. It is the responsibility of the submitting group to ensure all members of the group have agreed to the terms and conditions in the submission waiver.
Judging Criteria: The songs will be judged on originality, musicality and spirit.