Sing Me A Song
The Honourable Judith Guichon, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, is pleased to announce the return of her community music program, "Sing Me A Song". Schools, community choirs and amateur musical groups are invited to write and sing an original song in the lead up to 2021, celebrating the 150th anniversary of British Columbia’s entry into Confederation.
The program promotes music and community spirit and is an opportunity for musical groups of all ages and genres to write and sing an original song about what British Columbia means to them or their community.
Each entry will be reviewed by a panel of musicians from around the province and an award of $1,000 will be granted annually in each of three age categories. Entries will be posted on the "Sing Me A Song" YouTube channel to be viewed by all British Columbians. Whether it is a school or community choir or other amateur musical group, all submissions must have a minimum of eight voices and musical accompaniment is welcome. Each song must be original content, no longer than five minutes in length, and be based on the theme of British Columbia. For younger age groups adults may assist in the creation of the musical content. Musicality, spirit, and originality are highly encouraged.
Review the criteria for submissions:
- An original song written specifically for Sing Me A Song;
- The original song is written and performed collaboratively by a British Columbia-based amateur, community or school group with a minimum of eight voices;
- Songs should be inspired by:
- What our province or community means to the participants; or
- How their community, place or group reflects the values, accomplishments and spirit of the province of British Columbia. This year’s theme is inspired by the 150th anniversary of British Columbia’s entry into Confederation, taking place in 2021.
- Musical accompaniment is welcome to supplement the voices;
- The song must not exceed five minutes in length;
- Please provide a link to a performance of your submission (Youtube is the preferred hosting site), along with a copy of the written lyrics by March 30, 2018. Video files must include at least one visual of the group;
- By submitting the song you grant permission for Government House to post songs and images online and in the media. It is the responsibility of the submitting group to ensure all members of the group have agreed to the terms and conditions in the submission waiver;
Download and fill out the entry form:
Send in your submission:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- The completed entry form
- A link to a performance of your submission (Youtube is recommended)
- A copy of written lyrics (please do not send sheet music)
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call 250-387-2053.